|Language needs awareness
- Diagnose English writing difficulties and understand own needs for language improvement,
- Discuss writing issues in a culturally sensitive environment,
- Understand cross-cultural differences in logic, topic development, rhetorical patterns, and/or argumentation,
- Clarify misunderstandings of faculty feedback,
- Locate and effectively use resources for independent and/or guided English writing practice and developement.
|Macro-level writing difficulties
- Understand the linguistic realizations of the conventions of research genres,
- Enhance overall communicative effectiveness, substantiation of claims, and use of appropriate discourse features,
- Clarify purpose to ensure appropriate discourse structure,
- Choose appropriate linguistic signals and signposts in the development of scientific arguments,
- Use appropriate language structures to sustain consistency and cohesion,
- Improve understanding and use of strategies for concise and precise writing,
- Use appropriate language structures to express author stance.
|Micro-level writing difficulties
- Address recurrent grammatical and stylistic errors,
- Clarify the meaning of unclear sentences and phrases,
- Make appropriate lexical choices to clearly express intended meaning in small stretches of text,
- Expand academic English vocabulary.