The OECT Test Cycles
- January, July, and August - Incoming and new International Teaching Assistants (ITAs), Preparing Future Faculty (PFF) applicants, and other ITAs who want to retest
- May and December - ITAs enrolled in Engl 180 courses
- Note: Starting Fall 2023, ENGL 180 will be called GR ST 540 -
The January OECT registration is now locked. Email Kristin at firstname.lastname@example.org for a code.
After completing the registration, monitor your inbox for follow-up emails about selecting test slots.
Test slots will be added gradually based on need. Be sure to check in periodically.
Friday, January 6 (Full)
Monday, January 9 (Full)
Wednesday, January 11 (Full)
Thursday, January 12 (Schedule your time slot NOW available)
Email Lily Compton at email@example.com for further instructions if you are arriving after January 13, 2023.
NOTE 1: This schedule is subject to change. Please keep checking this page for updates.
NOTE 2: Students are strongly advised to take OECT as early as possible. We may not be able to accommodate late testing requests.
NOTE 3: Seats for earlier dates will be available first; seats for later dates will open gradually.
For questions about OECT testing, email Kristin Terrill (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Lily Compton (email@example.com).
Directions (please read carefully)
Test registration is offered through the OECT Portal, which requires entering TOEFL or IELTS scores. ITAs who are re-taking the test may choose the "exempt" option. First-time test takers must provide their TOEFL/IELTS scores unless they are exempt from the English proficiency requirement.
A valid NetID (ISU email address before "@iastate.edu") and correct student ID number (on the student's ISU ID card) are required for test registration for all test takers. Students should confirm their information in order to proceed to the registration part. Submit only one registration per testing period.
If you do not have a NetID, please visit the Information Technology Services to get one before attempting to register for the OECT.
Once the online registration form is completed and submitted, students are notified by email when test scheduling begins and will be asked to select a test date and time, after which they will receive another email confirming their test time.
Click here to register for OECT
On the test date
Test takers must arrive at the check-in location one hour before their scheduled test time. For example, if the test appointment is at 10:40a.m., the student is required to check in at 9:40 a.m. to prepare for the TEACH part of OECT. Test takers must also bring the following documents to the test:
- University ID card (or another photo ID such as driver's license or passport)
- Their most recent official TOEFL or IELTS score report and a photocopy of it (first-time test takers only). If students do not have an official TOEFL record available, they may present a printout of their TOEFL scores reported on the ETS website at their check-in. Students who have earned a bachelor's or higher degree in the U.S. and thus do not have a TOEFL/IETLS record to bring in should present proof of their degree by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or at the check-in on the test date. Proof of degree may include a copy of the diploma or a transcript with the earned degree and the student's name listed.