Are you seeking funding for research or field study? Get one-on-one advice from Laura Good (email@example.com) contact Anne or Grevstad-Nordbrock (firstname.lastname@example.org), and individual feedback on your application documents from Kristin Terrill (email@example.com).
The National Competitive Awards Writing Consultant assists students in preparing proposals for various national programs, such as:
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (due late October)
- National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship (due October/November)
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program (due early November)
- AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship (due mid-November)
- Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (due late January)
The consultant's responsibilities include:
- Conducting one-on-one writing consultations with graduate and undergraduate students by appointment and during walk-in hours
- Facilitating writing groups and workshops on the development of writing for fellowship, scholarship, internship, and grant applications
- Promoting award opportunities and assisting with the recruitment of suitable candidates
- Collaborating with campus partners in the University Honors and Nationally Competitive Awards Program and the Study Abroad Center who support undergraduate candidates to nationally competitive awards
- Assisting with data collection and analysis to identify trends, successes, and areas in need of improvement
- Assisting in the development of resources for grant/funding proposal communication
- Connecting potential applicants with existing ISU and external resources to enhance their odds of proposal acceptance
- Serving as an ambassador for students as they navigate writing and scholarship expectations
- Managing social media and create marketing materials to generating student interest
- Joining the National Association of Fellowships Advisers (NAFA) and learning how to better support students.
To learn more about how Iowa State University supports nationally competitive award applicants, please visit the Nationally Competitive Awards website.