Are you seeking funding for research or field study? April 8 - 11 is Nationally Competitive Awards Week! See our Scheduled Events page for details on topics that will be covered.
For one-on-one advice, contact Anne Grevstad-Nordbrock (email@example.com) or Kristin Terrill (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The National Competitive Awards Writing Consultant assists students in preparing proposals for various national programs, such as:
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (due late October)
- National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship (due October/November)
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program (due early November)
- AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship (due mid-November)
- Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (due late January)
The consultant's responsibilities include:
- Conducting one-on-one writing consultations with graduate and undergraduate students by appointment and during walk-in hours
- Facilitating writing groups and workshops on the development of writing for fellowship, scholarship, internship, and grant applications
- Promoting award opportunities and assisting with the recruitment of suitable candidates
- Collaborating with campus partners in the University Honors and Nationally Competitive Awards Program and the Study Abroad Center who support undergraduate candidates to nationally competitive awards
- Assisting with data collection and analysis to identify trends, successes, and areas in need of improvement
- Assisting in the development of resources for grant/funding proposal communication
- Connecting potential applicants with existing ISU and external resources to enhance their odds of proposal acceptance
- Serving as an ambassador for students as they navigate writing and scholarship expectations
- Managing social media and create marketing materials to generating student interest
- Joining the National Association of Fellowships Advisers (NAFA) and learning how to better support students.