OECT Frequently Asked Questions
Please read through the following FAQs and contact us at email@example.com if you have any other questions or if you need more information on OECT, ENGL 180, or other services of the ITA program.
- I tried to register for the test, but the link is not working (or the page says it's expired). What should I do?
- The registration page asks for a password. Can I get a password for it?
- I am a new teaching assistant, but I can't register for the test because I arrived late to campus. What should I do?
- I have a schedule conflict with my OECT testing. Can I reschedule my test?
- When will the next testing be held?
- Can I take the test earlier than the posted dates?
- I don't/can't see my OECT result online.
- I got Level 2, 3, or 4, and the result says I have to take ENGL 180. Is it mandatory?
- I can't sign up for ENGL 180 on AccessPlus. What should I do?
The registration system is temporarily closed for one of the following reasons:
- that the registration will begin on a date designated for each test date (or for a certain testing period), which is specified in the Test Dates and Registration page; or
- that we should avoid overbooking.
If you tried the registration after an indicated registration date and found that the registration page was closed, please try it on the next registration date. If your department has made a special arrangement with us for your testing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is temporarily available only for a limited group of students whose testing has been pre-arranged with us through their departments or via our waiting list (in case of overbooking). Please try the regular registration on a registration date specified on Test Dates and Registration.
No more testing sessions are available. Please contact us at email@example.com so that we can add you in our waiting list. We will contact you when we have a seat available for you. In case you can't take the test as we don't have any more seats available for you, please inform your department of the situation. They might be able to re-assign you to a different teaching duty. You may take the test in the next testing cycle.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to request for a schedule change or cancel your test. We may not be able to accommodate all of students' requests, especially when they ask for a schedule change 1-2 days before their test date. We don't accept a rescheduling request made a day before the test date. In that case, students should either attend the test (by missing the other appointment scheduled at the same time) or cancel the test (so that another student can take the test). Please contact us as soon as possible if you need to cancel the test.
We offer OECT testing four times a year as follows:
- Summer: One or two days in the last week of July and throughout August before the Fall semester begins (and 1-2 days during the first week of the term for late-arrival students)
- Fall/Winter (I): During the Dead Week and the finals week (late November - early December)
- Winter (II): During the orientation week of the Spring semester)
- Spring: During the Dead Week and the finals week (late April - early May)
Unfornuately not. We can't accommodate individual students' testing requests due to limited resources. If you need OECT scores for the application to the Preparation for Future Faculty (PFF) program, just indicate in your application that you will take the test on the earlier date possible.
Please login to the system with your NetID and password. If you still don't find your result on the page, please contact us with your exam ID and NetID. We will fix the problem as soon as possible.
We highly recommend students to take ENGL 180 if they don't acquire Level 1 in OECT. However, if they have a schedule conflict with the assigned ENGL 180 course, they may take it in the following term. Also, they may choose not to take the course if their TA duties are just grading. Note that students who do not complete the ENGL 180 requirement will be allowed to re-take the test only a full year after their (previous) test date (see our testing policies for more details). If they have to re-take the test at the end of the term, they must take ENGL 180 with no exceptions. Not taking ENGL 180 will NOT affect students' TAship or POS. (ENGL 180 is NOT part of the English requirement imposed on all international students at Iowa State.)
Students CANNOT sign up for ENGL 180 through AccessPlus, but they should see the OECT coordinator in person to get an add slip for the course. Please see more detailed information about the course signup here.